Travels to see Kasim

This is my online diary of my trips to see Kasim.
I'm really writing this diary for (a) myself and (b) my friends but I know that other people will hit it too so feel free to browse around! Just remember that this is the way that I choose to live part of my life - I don't make judgements on the way your live your life so kindly show me the same respect.

Click the envelope icon to have the posts sent to your e-mail account.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Todd in Munich

I woke up at about 8.00am and did some work in the morning. I had a lovely lunch at a Chinese restaurant near the hotel - thankfully they had a menu in English too. I then wandered around the area where I am (it's mainly a residential area but has a pretty church - churches in Germany have spires that look almost like something out of the Middle East to me) before I came back to my room to do some more work. I needed some shampoo and conditioner so I went to a nearby chemist (pharmacy). The shampoo was easy to find as that word was written on the bottles but to get the conditioner we decided that I meant "after shampoo"!
I left my hotel at about 6.45pm and managed to find Circus Kone okay. It was only about 5 miles away but there were 20 instructions in my MapQuest directions. The hardest part was trying to read German road names while driving (on the wrong side of the road) and reading directions.
Circus Kone is a circus for most of the year but they have concerts in the summer. Ethel (the string quartet) were on first and were better than I expected.

After Ethel, Joe Jackson played his set. Although I only recognised a couple of his songs, he pronounces his words very clearly so it was easy to understand what he was singing. There was then about a 20 minute interval before Todd played his set. I've seen Todd about 50 times live but this was the first time I've seen him without a band and he was a lot better than I'd been warned to expect. I knew all but about one of the songs he sung and he even sung The Afterlife from Liars. There were a few jokes on stage about this being in a circus.

Next both Ethel and Joe Jackson joined him on stage and they sang about another 6 songs including While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Soul Brother.

The concert finished at just gone 11.00pm and I was amazed that it was dark outside as the time had flown. It's more or less a tradition with the guy I went to this gig with that we have to have a burger after a gig! He asked a couple nearby but they said there was no "fast food" (I understood that German!) nearby so he drove more into the centre of Munich and we found a Burger King. I had "crispy chicken" which was written on the menu in English because "it sounds more cool"!

After a long chat about important things like music he drove me back to my car and I set off for my hotel. After a few minutes I realised that I'd left my jacket in the Burger King so I had to find that again first! It was nearly impossible to reverse the driving directions and read the road names in the dark to get to my hotel so I opted for finding the motorway and retracing my steps of the night before from the exit. It only took me about 45 minutes to get back to my hotel and I got to sleep at 2.00am.

Mileage today: 723 miles
Tour total (in my car) –3,266 miles