Travels to see Kasim

This is my online diary of my trips to see Kasim.
I'm really writing this diary for (a) myself and (b) my friends but I know that other people will hit it too so feel free to browse around! Just remember that this is the way that I choose to live part of my life - I don't make judgements on the way your live your life so kindly show me the same respect.

Click the envelope icon to have the posts sent to your e-mail account.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

My first ever time seeing Kasim in Texas!!


I got up at 5.00am after only 2.5 hours sleep so I felt shattered! My aim was to leave at 6.00am but one of my clients had sent some work in overnight so I didn't get away until 7.45am. As breakfast hadn't started by then, I had to make do with just some grapes in my room.

My Yahoo directions said that it was about a 7 hour journey and the actual directions were pretty good. It felt a long way (especially as I felt so tired) but I had some good CDs with me. I stopped in Hope, AR (the town where Bill Clinton was born) for lunch. As I wanted to get to Dallas as soon as possible I just had a Wendy's. When I set off this morning the temperature was 68 and by Dallas it had reached 96 - wonderful!!

I got to South Fork Ranch by 3.00pm and went on the tour there. Although it's a commercial item, the people who worked there were obviously fans of the TV show so they were very enthusiastic! They explained how they got around things like the fact that the house is so much smaller than it was portrayed and how they doubled the size of the swimming pool on the screen!

I left there at about 4.15pm and I had some trouble with the directions as a road was closed. I got to my hotel in Grand Prairie by 5.45pm. Grand Prairie seems to really be a suburb of Dallas as the only sign I saw for the place was the City Limit! This hotel is adequate and has Wireless Internet which was one of my priorities. I had a quick cup of tea while I got changed (no time for food today!).

The venue was about 5 minutes drive away and was easy to find. There were loads of signs saying "no cameras" but when I went in she just asked me if I had a camera phone and checked my handbag! She didn't ask if I had an actual camera nor look in my carrier bag!

My seat which I thought was in the second row actually turned out to be the front row (there was no row A) which was a nice surprise! I was seating next to Wendy from TRC who I've "known" for quite a while so it was nice to finally meet her. She also introduced me to several Todd fans so it was great to put faces to names. There was also a Meat Loaf fan there who I'm friendly with so it was a very sociable gathering!

Blondie put on a good set again but security was SO oppressive! They didn't allow anyone to go to the front and stopped people taking photos. During their encore loads of people went to the front so security didn't stand a chance!

As I thought there was no way that I could take photos being so close to security and I was worried about having to hold my camera bag if people came to the front, I gave my to a friend who was sitting further back to look after for me. Afterwards I was kicking myself for doing that because as soon as The New Cars came on stage so many people came to the front that security couldn't do anything and I could have easily snapped away...never mind I'm sure there'll be other chances and I just enjoyed the concert.

It was a great concert again and it's nice being close enough to see the expressions on the bands' faces! I was also close to Elliot Easton for the first time so I could watch his guitar playing closely. Kasim was scampering all over the stage again which was great to watch!

The concert finished at 11.20pm but I didn't get back to my car until 12.20am as I was chatting to different people. By the time I got back to my hotel I was gasping so I had to have a cup of tea before I went to bed at 2.30am...a long day!!